Being unorganized can make life tough in a number of ways. Disorganization in your home can cause an unending, overall sense of stress, because you're lacking a certain amount of order in your life. It also causes unsightly clutter and makes it hard to find things.
The good news is that with some easy home organization tips, you can have your home whipped into shape in no time. It may seem like an impossible task right now, but when broken down into smaller projects, organization is inevitable.
Try these simple organization tips:
1. Get rid of your clutter. There's no use in organizing items that you're not going to keep, so getting rid of them first is a good initial step. It's best to live by the rule that if you haven't used an item in over a year and it doesn't hold sentimental value, you should probably consider letting go of it.
• Make piles for trash, donations, and things to sell. You can use websites like Poshmark or Mercari to sell unwanted items for extra cash.
2. Start small. It's important to set small goals for yourself, room by room, throughout your house. When you focus on everything as a whole it can get so crazy that it might just seem like a lost cause.
• Try starting in your bathroom, or better yet, just start by going through the cabinet underneath your bathroom sink. Throw out old items and organize the rest. Afterward, you can call it a day and then work on another small project another time.
• As you move to new rooms, maintain the organization of the rooms you've already done. You don't want to complete a few rooms only to find out that your bathroom cabinets are disorganized again.
3. Learn how to store things. Just because you've gotten your things out of sight, it doesn't mean that you've got an organizational method. Plan a strategy to store similar things together in marked storage bins.
• Once you follow through on your storage strategy, then you'll know where things are.
You can also benefit from learning how to store things in sight. Make good use of shelves, baskets, or furniture with built-in storage space to keep things neat and where you're likely to need them.
4. Create a cleaning schedule. Once you have your home in order, it's all about maintenance. You'll need to find a way to keep things in order. Make a schedule to keep track of what chores are done and when. You can even schedule in a time to deal with clutter to get everything back into its proper place.
• Dividing up the cleaning tasks throughout the week will make it easier to maintain the order you worked so hard to attain. This limits "chore time" to short increments of time. Instead of spending an entire Saturday cleaning, clean a room each day, and then you can have fun on the weekend while your home is still neat and tidy.
• Establish the habit of picking up as you go. When you take something out of its place to use it, put it back when you're done.
If you really want to change your life, you can make it so. Even if you've been unorganized forever, use these tips to help you turn things around and enjoy the lovely home you've created.